Davidson River, Sept 5-9

Started by phg, September 13, 2005, 07:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canii, rbphoto and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

phg

I got to spend most of a week camped out on the Davidson, Sept 5-9.  The weather was delightful, and the fish were cooperative.  For the most part, I had the river to myself, and I took advantage of it.  Morning and evening I worked  a different section, and got to fish several that I've never been on before.

Overall, I think the storms of last summer have improved the river.  In several places, there is a more distinct channel, and a couple of stretches that, in the past, ran over bedrock now have layers of rock and gravel.  The stones I turned up were all covered with stonefly larva.  As for the trout, they were there!

There wasn't much surface activity all week, and I must have tried a dozen flys trying to find what they wanted, but I soon settled on a green weenie as the dropper.  I got several surface hits on a yellow sulpher, and I actually caught a nice brookie on an orange stimulator,  but for the most part, whatever I tied on for the dry was ignored.

For hatches, while I saw quite an assortment of mayflys and caddis, the only real hatch was a minute tan mayfly that didn't measure 1/4" total length, including tails.  I did see yellow sulphers, orange sulphers, and yellow sallys.  I even saw one mayfly that was as pink as a pink lady, so I suspect that almost any dryfly in the cream, yellow, tan, pink range would have a chance.  Few of what I saw in the air would have gone as large as a size 14, though, and I'm thinking an 18 would be the best size, although it won't support a size 12 dropper. :-[

Unfortunately, no pictures, but I did score a grand slam, twice.  On Tuesday, it was all on a green weenie, and again on Friday, the brookie took the stim. but the rest all took the green weenie.

Devinsdad

Woolly Bugger

sounds like a winner to me! Wish I could spend a week on a river.... :'(
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

chatt river

I was on the D Friday, the 9th, and had some luck with a weenie also, but most of mine came by a nymph.
The D is fishing very well right now, so I'am trying to hit it often to make up for all my terrible days in the past. ;D

brownhunter

I too wish I could spend a week on the river. Man, that sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Trout Chaser

Paul,

A week on a river..... That is great.  I'm glad the weather and the fish cooperated for you.

TC

flytyer

Good report PHG glad to know that green weenie :o is still working in sept. Several people told me it was a good august bug.

quercus

Sounds like a great way to kill a week.  Nice report, thanks for sharing.