News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

Pyscho Fly Fishers / Re: PFF V47 Shady Vally TN
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 12, 2024, 21:50:29 PM
In  d:b
The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited it's the water, ...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 12, 2024, 20:56:17 PM
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Salmon / Steelhe...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 12, 2024, 20:51:57 PM
Salmon fishing to be banned off California coast for 2nd year in a row

The federal council that regulates fishing along the West Coast recommended Wednesday that the California ocean salmon season be canceled for the second year in a row. The renewed ban is a devastating blow to the state's commercial and recreational fishing industry, still reeling from a similar decision last year. 

The Pacific Fishery Management Council based its decision on continued low water levels and high temperatures in rivers where salmon spawn. Scientists say these poor river and ocean conditions have resulted in historically low population numbers for the iconic species. 

The Sacramento River watershed provides the greatest proportion of salmon on the West Coast. It used to support between 1 and 2 million fish every year, but in 2023, only about 134,000 adult fall-run Chinook, also known as king salmon, returned to that river to spawn.

The economics of the decision are crippling for communities that rely on revenue from commercial or recreational fishing activities. Estimates of financial losses stemming from last year's cancellation in California run from $45 million to $65 million.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/salmon-fishing-ban-california-coast-2024/
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 12, 2024, 18:33:29 PM

#24 -- 37 Gas $3.56  n!n , mid 60s and strong gusty wind.

Since the river below the creek is up and muddy I drove on up to the Damn Dam to harvest some stockerbows for the birds. I stopped at the boat ramp for a look see and there were seven vechicles in the lot. Holy crap, what's going on? As I drove up river road, I saw not one, not two, but three rafts on the water, a smith fly, a blue raft and Alex's hooligan bringing up the rear. I honked at Alex and he waved back. On up to an empty spot on the river I battled the wind for the next several hours and hooked and landed an handful of browns and rainbows. I culled the bows. The euro rod probably wasn't the best choice for the weather conditions and I'm sure i missed may strikes as the wind was blowing the line. But it was a spectacular day despite the wind.

It didn't appear that any work was being done on the hillside today, but there is some progress from the last time I took a look.

Pyscho Fly Fishers / PFF V47 Shady Vally TN
Last post by Devinsdad - April 12, 2024, 07:40:36 AM
JT went to great pains to try and insure the sustainability of PFF.

The torch was passed this year to MSTASH / Rick Pons.  Hoping this PFF will be the best one ever.  Saint Carol, John's wife will be joining us Friday evening for dinner and to pour a sip in Stoneman's honor.

May 16,17,18,19

$70 for Thursday thru Sunday
$60 for Friday thru Sunday
Breakfast and dinner provided Friday and Saturday.  The Raceway Cafe will close by the end of April but the gas station has some limited sandwich options for lunch.

Rick has asked to mail checks to him, he does not want to deal with cash at camp.

Send cash or check to

Rick Pons
305 Rodoret Street N
Valdese NC 28690

As always we will need help in the kitchen with cooks and clean up.

Chime in here if you plan to attend.

Looking forward to it.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Climate change?
Last post by Onslow - April 11, 2024, 19:56:11 PM
It feels like August.  Two morning lows of 68 thus far in 2024.

Heck, the sky looked like a pre hurricane situation today.

What does this all portend for 2024?  We may not like it.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Bees (for Ken)
Last post by Onslow - April 11, 2024, 19:53:56 PM
Feral bees are back!!

https://phys.org/news/2024-03-honey-bees-abundant-wild-hives.html

There are no managed hives within 3/4 of a mile of my home in town, but my place is always wrapped up with honeybees. One lady a couple houses down had a swarm descend upon her yard last year.  I got a phone call blaming me, but my bees were at the farm.

NC State gave away numerous hives with Russian queens.  Russian bees are frequent swarmers, and pack light. Many people also started using Carniolan bees which overwinter better than Italian bees, and they too are inclined to swarm . Due to recent warm Winters, survival rates have been high, and there actually may be too many bees in certain locales. Along with hollow trees, they enjoy old homes with gappy exterior trim. Towns are prime real estate for honey bees.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Bees (for Ken)
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 11, 2024, 17:07:57 PM
You cannot view this attachment.

https://wr.al/1RgmF
Warm Water Species / Re: Another Annual Trip to Sha...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 11, 2024, 15:47:15 PM
I should also mention the fish of the day. I had quite the battle with a one fish that was difficult to bring in. Could it have been a large striper? Time revealed that it was a Quillback (Carpiodes cyprinus), also known as the quillback carpsucker that was foul hooked in the motor, right behind the dorsal fin!

I also caught and released one blueback herring.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Fly Fishing News...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 11, 2024, 11:33:08 AM
A Colorado fly fishing legends reflects on life, career

A.K. Best is best known for his prolific contributions to the world of fly tying, where his meticulously crafted flies, detailed instructional books, and innovative techniques have earned him widespread acclaim among fly fishers worldwide

Watch the video here;
https://gazette.com/life/a-colorado-fly-fishing-legends-reflects-on-life-career/video_921e5d0f-1a49-59c6-9996-3ecc5c8a0fc2.html