News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

Not that they necessarily need a recommendation, but MRFC is legit.  First heard of them probably 15 years ago when they had a contest to win a Scott G-2 and damn if we didn't win it!  Trout_Girl immediately claimed it and it has been her go to 5 wt ever since.  Out of a sense of obligation I followed this shop on line thereafter and have bought from them over the years, always with good service and prices.

So, check them out.

That is all.  -+;

TB
For Sale / Wanted / Re: Catfish Boat
Last post by Dougfish - March 10, 2024, 20:51:23 PM
Good day. Congrats.
Sold our big house today.
Freeing.
For Sale / Wanted / Re: Catfish Boat
Last post by trout-r-us - March 10, 2024, 19:25:24 PM
SOLD!!!

It has been said that the best days for a boat owner are the day he buys and the day he sells a boat.
I've sold both of my motorized boats in the last 8 months and I disagree that the sold dates were good ones. Though I wasn't forced to sell, watching the boats pull off behind a stranger's vehicle leaves a somewhat empty feeling.
Today is the first day in the last 49 years that I am without a motorized boat, and I dare say the thousands of trips aboard the boats with family and friends, or in complete solitude have been some of my life's most joyous.
With all that said, I'm told that some family members are placing side bets on how long it will be before I show up with another boat. 😁
As the buyer hooked up to pull the boat off the yard today, I tried in vain to hold it back.
So whoever "they" are that said the day you sell is one of the best days, I call bullshit.You cannot view this attachment.
For Sale / Wanted / Catfish Boat
Last post by trout-r-us - March 08, 2024, 20:06:23 PM
Time for the catfish boat to go.
$14,700

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.     
Gear Reviews / Redington Benchmark rubber sol...
Last post by Onslow - February 09, 2024, 20:29:35 PM
I've been using Simms Freestone boots for some time.  I've own, and worn out at least 3 pair.  The freestone does offer great foot protection, but outer shoe material tends to shrink over time, and the inner material above the toe box tends to buck down when this happens. This typically occurs before the shoe wears out, and makes the boot unwearable.

I recently read a review of the Redington Benchmark and on the con column was "wide toe box".  WTF, I need a wide toe box, so I ordered a pair. Although the advertised weight is nearly the same as the Freestone, the Redington boot feels lighter.  It has much less leather, so hopefully shrinkage will not be an issue. The toe box is wide, and this is boot is very easy on my feet.  The materials inside the boot are less robust than the Freestone, but seems to do less to inflame my bunions and Mortons neuroma. I would only upsize for stocking waders, and not for thinner wading socks. The Redington Benchmark seems to feel a bit larger than the current Freestones, although I will say the older were are also larger than the current. My last pair of Freestones were made in China, but the Benchmark boot is much more affordable. One could purchase one felt and a rubber sole for the price of one name brand product.
Fly Shop Specials/Sales/Closeouts / Re: Wader Pants Deal??
Last post by Fishbug - February 07, 2024, 16:25:21 PM
I've owned two pairs.
They fit/work great for price.
Had a leak under 1 yr and they replaced for free.
Fly Shop Specials/Sales/Closeouts / Re: Wader Pants Deal??
Last post by Dougfish - February 06, 2024, 21:15:54 PM
I've had mine for 5? years. Limited use, mainly for small stream Nov-April use for me.
I endorse.
Gear Reviews / Re: Rain Gear Repair
Last post by greg - February 02, 2024, 08:00:58 AM
Quote from: troutboy_II on January 28, 2024, 09:24:49 AM
Quote from: greg on January 27, 2024, 07:19:52 AMOnly issue with the torrent for me is no Chest pocket. I use my phone for map. Pocket that he'd phone hit under hip belt on backpack. That was a pain. Other than that great coat.

I agree about the lack of inside chest pocket. For me, that's the sunglasses storage spot. Interesting thing I spotted in the new model coat - they recommended washing regularly. I think that is key to avoiding the wetting out problem, perhaps more than recoating. Nothing scientific in this conclusion, just based on experience.

But, then they will move production to another country and the new jackets won't fit right and waterproofing will suck. Sigh....   n!n

TB
I noticed the same label about washing more.