News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Well, I figured I’d ask…. Sorr...
Last post by troutboy_II - March 18, 2024, 12:49:51 PM
First off, I know and support the unwritten (written?) rules about sharing specific creeks, etc.  :bow

That being said, I find myself with knee surgery finally being rescheduled to April 9th and Trout_girl and I are looking for a stream that is currently accessible to me with my worn out knee, but something different than what we have fished over the last twenty years in WNC. So, big ask I know, if anyone has any suggestions for interesting streams that are fairly close to parking and would be willing to pass them on to us, we would appreciate it.  Not looking for your honey holes or obvious choices (Davidson as an example or most DH spots), but somewhere off the beaten path that you found interesting but still not what you would consider "private".  I don't think this will be a last hurrah or anything dramatic like that, but clearly I will be on the bench for a while after the surgery and it would be cool if we could have one more interesting adventure before the robot goes nuts on my knee.

I figure I am currently good for 1/2 mile or perhaps a little more round trip to stream - probably depends on elevation change more than anything. Deeper streams offer cooling on joint so that adds to options. Some days are better than others, so not sure. Looking for spot within an hour drive of Mills River.

So, if you would like to offer a suggestion, please PM me or post here.  If you don't want to contribute, I completely understand. After all, it's not like I have a terminal disease or anything like that, fortunately. So, if you have a throw away that fits the above, please throw it our direction.

Thanks.

TB
The Gravel Bar / Re: What a game!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 17, 2024, 06:50:48 AM

That was awesome!
The Gravel Bar / What a game!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 16, 2024, 07:07:43 AM
NC State stuns Virginia after last-ditch 3; will face UNC for ACC crown

d:b  d:b  d:b

The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited odds and ends
Last post by trout-r-us - March 15, 2024, 07:45:25 AM
Beware, the Ides of March are upon us.

You cannot view this attachment.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Nuclear Disaster...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 12, 2024, 21:04:41 PM
Fukuyama residents warned not to touch cat after chemical tank fall

Residents of a city in western Japan have been warned to stay away from a cat after it fell into a tank of poisonous chemicals.
The warning comes after a factory worker found yellow paw prints leading away from the container.
Security footage was then reviewed and the cat could been seen running away, leaving a trail of paw prints.
Officials in Fukuyama have asked the public to stay away from the animal and report any sightings to the police.
It is thought the curious feline had been in a vat of hexavalent chromium, a highly acidic and carcinogenic chemical which is orange and brown in colour.
A member of staff found the paw marks when they arrived for work yesterday at the Nomura Plating Fukuyama Factory, according to news website Asahi.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68547839

The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Salmon / Steelhe...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 12, 2024, 09:41:21 AM
There are glimmers of Atlantic salmon success in Maine

"Chase the fish, boy. Yer down to the backin'. Chase the fish," shouted my guide.

The Medalist reel sang as the 9-weight line wound off the spool with authority. The tip of the Sage fly rod pulsated as the 18-pound Atlantic salmon lived up to its reputation, leaping and twisting above the frothing waters of the Upsalquitch River.

The dance of this powerful silver game fish took my breath away. My heart pounded. As instructed, I chased the fighting fish downriver stumbling and banging my knees on the slippery stream-side stones.

Will those days ever return?

https://www.bangordailynews.com/2024/03/12/outdoors/outdoors-contributors/atlantic-salmon-success-maine-joam40zk0w/
The Gravel Bar / Re: Damn Dams -- Unlimited dam...
Last post by Onslow - March 09, 2024, 17:25:17 PM
Quote from: joe friday on March 09, 2024, 13:26:22 PMA great topic!

From reading different posts, it seems like selective removal is the key, on a case-by-case basis.

I don't know if it's been studied, but the old Hardin Mill Dam on the south fork of the Catawba River (Gaston County) is one of those dams that no longer generates power.  What would the river be like if it were removed, I wonder.

I may be able to dig up a publication authored by the USGS in the 1880s or 90s.  The USGS surveyed every stream in NC that had gradient, described the rapids, measured the height of rapids, measured drainage size, calculated mean flow.

Best I remember SF Catawba is a slate belt river.  The areas of gradient are rather extreme and short.  Very similar to what one will find in SC on the Piedmont streams. The SF Catawba is very atypical in NC. The Catawba is also a bit extreme, but more incremental than the Yadkin.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Trump Sucks
Last post by Onslow - March 09, 2024, 13:38:45 PM
Quote from: joe friday on March 09, 2024, 13:07:01 PMI don't know how to provide any input on this thread without offending somebody.  About half my family are Trump disciples and some of them have stopped speaking to me and others for opposing him.  Other friends, people I've known for 40 years or more, have called me every name in the book because I cannot support Trump.  These people, many who claim and profess their Christianity in public one minute have turned on me and some others.  They cannot articulate why they support Trump except through simple cliche' phrases and slogans such as, "He loves America," "He gave up his billionaire life to save America," or "He supports the military." 

I just cannot see what it is about the man that people love.  And I am no fan of Biden, by any stretch of the imagination.  There seems to be a void of leadership in both parties and a high level of graft across the board.

There are many who rant and rave about Trump.  I would venture nearly none of these folks would change their party affiliation to unaffiliated so they could vote in the primary for Haley.

Being affiliated with any party is a fool's errand imo where primaries are open, or somewhat open. Party loyalists don't decide election outcomes anyway. Voting for the worst candidate in the opposing party's primary is beyond dumb, and treasonist.

Life is about choices, and if we choose not to act on what we know, then we have no one to blame but ourselves. Freedom without accountability, duty, without understanding of the laws of nature, science, biology, is a disaster that Americans are collectively experiencing.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Damn Dams -- Unlimited dam...
Last post by joe friday - March 09, 2024, 13:26:22 PM

A great topic!

From reading different posts, it seems like selective removal is the key, on a case-by-case basis.

I don't know if it's been studied, but the old Hardin Mill Dam on the south fork of the Catawba River (Gaston County) is one of those dams that no longer generates power.  What would the river be like if it were removed, I wonder.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Trump Sucks
Last post by joe friday - March 09, 2024, 13:07:01 PM

I don't know how to provide any input on this thread without offending somebody.  About half my family are Trump disciples and some of them have stopped speaking to me and others for opposing him.  Other friends, people I've known for 40 years or more, have called me every name in the book because I cannot support Trump.  These people, many who claim and profess their Christianity in public one minute have turned on me and some others.  They cannot articulate why they support Trump except through simple cliche' phrases and slogans such as, "He loves America," "He gave up his billionaire life to save America," or "He supports the military." 

I just cannot see what it is about the man that people love.  And I am no fan of Biden, by any stretch of the imagination.  There seems to be a void of leadership in both parties and a high level of graft across the board.