Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The bar is open.... / Re: Movie Thread.
« Last post by troutfanatic on Today at 19:43:46 »
Go see Dunkirk.

We were probably the youngest couple in the theater yesterday afternoon.

The wife wanted more character development.  She wanted more American Hollywood-style war movie.  I thought it was done well. 

I read an article about how the movie is full of defeat.

It is not.

It displays some of the harsh realities of war and the human condition - good and evil. 

I have never been to war.  I have never served in the armed forces.  I am grateful to all of my family and friends over the years who have.  I have a great respect for the warrior spirit in the men whom I know and the women who have supportrd, and many of them lost, those men.

Dunkirk portrays soldiers. 

Dunkirk portrays non-American soldiers at war -getting beaten yet not giving up.  The fact that it is about British and French warfare in WWII is unique to the modern era and much needed.

It is full of grit, determination, will to survive - if only to fight another day;  it is full of the desire to see home, to see victory. 

It is full of hope.

Yep. This is accurate. After you serve you tend to shoot holes in Hollywood war films. You find inaccuracies in everything from weapons to uniforms and equipment. They overdo the special effects to raise the drama. Not the case here. Damn accurate film and well done. Like I said in an earlier comment, it's probably the best one since The Great Raid. That remains my favorite, but Dunkirk is awesome.
« Last post by Dougfish on Today at 19:17:09 »
Bravo review. Everything I've heard, also.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

« Last post by rbphoto on Today at 18:24:03 »
Go see Dunkirk.

We were probably the youngest couple in the theater yesterday afternoon.

The wife wanted more character development.  She wanted more American Hollywood-style war movie.  I thought it was done well. 

I read an article about how the movie is full of defeat.

It is not.

It displays some of the harsh realities of war and the human condition - good and evil. 

I have never been to war.  I have never served in the armed forces.  I am grateful to all of my family and friends over the years who have.  I have a great respect for the warrior spirit in the men whom I know and the women who have supportrd, and many of them lost, those men.

Dunkirk portrays soldiers. 

Dunkirk portrays non-American soldiers at war -getting beaten yet not giving up.  The fact that it is about British and French warfare in WWII is unique to the modern era and much needed.

It is full of grit, determination, will to survive - if only to fight another day;  it is full of the desire to see home, to see victory. 

It is full of hope.
The bar is open.... / Re: Pipeline
« Last post by troutfanatic on Today at 11:13:14 »
Al, no experience with the gas pipelines but do have a guy I work with involved in solar.  In his neighbors case, the power company leases the land for 10 years, and at the end of that term they remove all equipment.  For the landowner, they get money off the lease, and in this case the landowner leased forested land to the company so they cleared everything on their dime.  Not sure if this is how they all are, but it's an interesting arrangement.  Works out well for the landowner in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure that clear cutting large swaths of forested land is helping the problem.

Al don't be firing no extra hot reloads when you hunt that right of way...

There is a group that has done the research. And they believe that if the government would back it, we could be 90% relying on renewable energy in 50 years. But since the oil and gas companies are paying for the politicians campaigns, it's unlikely it will happen.

Imagine the jobs it would create to build that infrastructure.

The solar thing really seems to be troubling. I think you can really circumvent a lot of the political BS if you incentivize clean fuel development, but put a mandate on developing the jobs in areas where they were lost due to the decline of coal and other hydrocarbons, like WV and KY. You get these people off of government subsidized life and you get them voting for the people that got them out of poverty. Had Obama pulled something like this off, I seriously doubt we'd be staring at dead rat head every time we turn on the TV.

The other source my discontent is these damn trade agreements. Both parties are guilty of supporting them. We develop an industry here in the US and in the name of profit, we send it to Asia a decade or two later.
« Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on Today at 08:18:37 »
There is a group that has done the research. And they believe that if the government would back it, we could be 90% relying on renewable energy in 50 years. But since the oil and gas companies are paying for the politicians campaigns, it's unlikely it will happen.

Yes, follow the money.

I see nothing wrong with anyone or any enterprise turning a profit, but not at the expense of others.  In the case of this pipeline, as opponents have asked, is this line even needed? 

And if it is needed, why this particular route?  This line will dissect terrain thatís only disturbance was timbering many, many moons ago.  The land may very well be the most pristine, undisturbed in the state. 

And this is not a case of NIMBY with me; the line is well to the north.  In fact, if the damned thing is sure to be constructed, then I would prefer they move the route south, closer to my area, where Dominion already has left a footprint with their huge pump storage project. 
« Last post by DAYUMson on Today at 00:29:38 »

Dey Terk My Jerb!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

« Last post by tomato can on July 21, 2017, 22:56:26 PM »
I know someone who surfed it.

Hahahaha

The rest of you pack up your shit and go home, that right there wins the interwebs for today.

I was stationed right down the road from Pipeline, Sunset, Waimai Bay.  That stuff in the winter was no joke.  My roommate would tear it up but it was a bit much for me.  I always liked ones, twos, threes, tennis courts and Ala Moana as well as the breaks on base.  That was about 30 years ago about to the day!
« Last post by driver on July 21, 2017, 22:25:35 PM »

« Last post by NCsporksman on July 21, 2017, 21:49:23 PM »
Dude there's 5 people in this theatre on opening nite

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

« Last post by ryguy on July 21, 2017, 21:25:16 PM »
Al, no experience with the gas pipelines but do have a guy I work with involved in solar.  In his neighbors case, the power company leases the land for 10 years, and at the end of that term they remove all equipment.  For the landowner, they get money off the lease, and in this case the landowner leased forested land to the company so they cleared everything on their dime.  Not sure if this is how they all are, but it's an interesting arrangement.  Works out well for the landowner in this case.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10